This explains the items needed to Pass Final State Code Inspections for ALL Parishes.
FINAL POOL INSPECTION MUST PASS PRIOR TO THE POOL BEING PLASTERED.
ALL Barrier requirements must be done PRIOR TO PLASTER.
A 4' or 6' fence must surround the pool area.
- Wooden fences must have the runners on the inside facing the pool.
- Older wooden fences that have 3 runners on the outside must be modified to stop a person from using the runners as a ladder. This can be done like the picture showing the middle runner having another piece of wood installed onto cut at a 60 degree angle.
These need to be installed on all windows within the fenced in pool area. To purchase visit our store.
Home alarm system are no longer accepted. All doors opening within the pool fenced in areas are to have 2017UL listed alarms as pictured. To purchase visit our store.
Pool Barrier Requirements
The top of the barrier shall be at least 48 inches above grade and shall exist around the entire perimeter of the pool measured at a horizontal distance of a minimum 20inches to the pool side of the barrier.
The vertical clearance between grade and the bottom of the barrier shall not exceed 2 inches (51 mm) for grade surfaces that are not solid, such as grass or gravel, where measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the pool or spa.
The vertical clearance between a surface below the barrier to a solid surface, such as concrete, and the bottom of the required barrier shall not exceed 4 inches where measured on the side of the required barrier that faces away from the pool or spa.
Openings in the barrier shall not allow the passage of a 4 inch sphere.
Solid Barriers which do not have openings, such as a masonry or stone wall, shall not
contain indentations or protrusions, except for normal construction tolerances and tooled
Where the barrier is composed of vertical and horizontal members, and the distance
between the tops of the horizontal members is less than 45 inches, the horizontal members shall be located on swimming pool side of the fence. Spacing between vertical members shall not exceed 1 3⁄4 inches in width. Where there are decorative cut outs within the vertical members, spacing within the cut outs shall not exceed 1 3⁄4 inches in width.
Where the barrier is composed of vertical and horizontal members, and the distance between the tops of the horizontal members is 45 inches or more, spacing between vertical members, spacing within the cut outs shall not exceed 1 3⁄4 inches in width.
Maximum opening size for chain link fence shall be 1 3/4 inch square, unless the fence has slats fastened at the top and bottom which reduce the openings to not more than 1 3⁄4 inches.
Where the barrier is composed of diagonal members, such as lattice fence, the maximum opening forms by the diagonal members shall not be more that 1 3⁄4 inches. The angle of diagonal members shall not be more than 45 degrees from vertical
Mesh fence as a barrier. Mesh fences, other than chain link fences in accordance with Section 305.2.7, shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall comply with the following:
The bottom of the mesh fence shall be not more than 1 inch (25 mm) above the deck or installed surface or grade.
The maximum vertical clearance from the bottom of the mesh fence and the solid surface shall not permit the fence to be lifted more than 4 inches (102 mm) from grade or decking.
The fence shall be designed and constructed so that it does not allow passage of a
4 inch sphere under any mesh panel. The maximum vertical clearance from the bottom of the mesh fence and the solid surface shall not be more than 4 inches (102mm) from grade or decking.
12. An attachment device shall attach each barrier section at a height not lower than 45 inches (1143 mm) above grade. Common attachment devices include, but are not limited to, devices that provide the security equal to or greater than that of a hook-and-eye type latch incorporating a spring-actuated retaining lever such as a safety gate hook.
13. Where a hinged gate is used with a mesh fence, the gate shall comply with Section 305.3 of the 2015 Pool Code.
14. Patio deck sleeves such as vertical post receptacles that are placed inside the patio surface shall be of a nonconductive material.
15. Mesh fences shall not be installed on top of onground residential pools.
Gates shall comply with all the requirements for the fence and shall be equipped with a locking device.
Pedestrian access gates shall open outward away from the pool, and shall be self-closing and have self-latching device.
Gates other than pedestrian access gates shall be locked at all times.
Where the release mechanism of the self-latching device is located less than 54 inches
from the bottom of the gate, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the gate, at least 3 inches below the top of the gate. The gate and barrier shall have no opening larger than 1⁄2 inch within 18 inches of the release mechanism.
Double or multiple gates. Double gates or multiple gates shall have at least one leaf secured in place and the adjacent leaf shall be secured with a self-latching device. The gate and barrier shall not have openings larger than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) within 18 inches (457 mm) of the latch release mechanism. The self-latching device shall comply with the requirements of Latches.
Latches. Where the release mechanism of the self-latching device is located less than 54 inches (1372mm) from grade, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool or spa side of the gate not less than 3 inches (76 mm) below the top of the gate, and the gate and barrier shall not have openings greater than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) within 18 inches (457 mm) of the release mechanism.
1. Where a wall of the dwelling serves as part of the barrier, doors with direct access to the pool shall be equipped with a pool hazard entrance alarm (water hazard entrance alarm) which produces an audible warning when the door is opened. The alarm shall be listed and labeled accordance with UL 2017. The deactivation switch shall be located a minimum of 54 inches above the finished floor.
****Door alarm not required if the pool is equipped with a powered safety cover in compliance with ASTM F 1346.